Provision of common coding of administrative territories and territorial units.
- Administrative territories – territories of local governments of State cities and territories of municipality governments;
- Units of territorial division of counties – State cities, towns un rural territories.
- compilation of statistics in breakdown by administrative territory;
- maintenance of national information systems and registers..
Approved by the Regulations of the Cabinet No. 379 "Regulations of Classification of Administrative Territories and Territorial Units" of 15 June 2021.
Central Statistical Bureau of Latvia
Performed in line with the amendments to the Law on Administrative Territories and Populated Areas.
Central Statistical Bureau official website
(only in Latvian)
Coding system - hierarchical
Code length – seven digits
Number of levels -3
Description of levels
Level 1: reserved for administrative regions identified by two-digit numerical codes;
Level 2: 43 administrative territories identified by two-digit numerical codes
- territories of local governments of State cities (01-19)
- territories of municipality governments (20-99);
Level 3: 582 units of territorial division of counties territories identified by two-digit numerical codes
- territories of State cities (01-19)
- towns (20-39)
- rural territories (40-99).
Seventh digit identifies number of code modifications performed in case if territories were split or merged.
Number of classification objects:
- 7 local governments of State cities
- 36 municipality governments
- 3 State cities
- 71 towns
- 511 rural territories