- provision of common EU framework for collection un compilation of statistical data on products (goods and services);
- comparison of statistics for manufacturing, sales and consumption of products, as well as foreign trade thereof between EU and other countries;
- making of macroeconomic analysis, research on business activity and market.
Products (goods and services) in breakdown by economic activity.
Collection and compilation of statistics for products in breakdown by economic activity, national and regional accounts, input-output analysis, other analyses requiring product data.
Approved by the Commission Regulation (EU) No 1209/2014 of 29 October 2014 amending Regulation (EC) No 451/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council establishing a new statistical classification of products by activity (CPA) and repealing Council Regulation (EEC) No 3696/93.
Statistical Office of the European Union (Eurostat)
Revision is planned for 2022.
The following timelines are foreseen:
- Start of work on the revision of the CPA (June 2022)
- Presentation of the draft new CPA to the European Statistical System Committee (October 2023)
- Start of work on correspondence tables and explanatory notes of the CPA (Q3 2023)
- Start of the procedure for a CPA legal act (November 2023)
- Translation of the CPA legal act (legal text + new CPA structure in annex) in all EU official languages (Q2 2024)
- Adoption of the CPA legal act (April 2025)
- Implementation of the new CPA (2025 onwards)
Coding system – decimally hierarchical
Code length – six digits
Number of levels – 6
Description of levels
Level 1: 21 sections identified by an alphabetical code (A to U);
Level 2: 88 divisions identified by a two-digit numerical code;
Level 3: 262 groups identified by a three-digit numerical code;
Level 4: 576 classes identified by a four-digit numerical code;
Level 5: 1357 categories identified by a five-digit numerical codes;
Level 6: 3218 sub-categories identified by a six-digit numerical code.