Central Statistical Bureau
Purpose of introduction
- establishment of common classification of economic activities in the EU helping to determine type of economic activity of institutional units engaged in manufacturing or other economic sectors;
- improvement of comparability of national, EU and international statistics.
Kinds of economic activity.
Area of application
- compilation of statistics based on economic activities;
- maintenance of national information systems.
Statistical Office of the European Union (Eurostat)
Planned update or revision
NACE 2.1 explanatory notes and all additional materials for the implementation of the new NACE is being prepared, the following timelines are foreseen:
- Finalisation of NACE Rev. 2.1 explanatory notes (End of April 2023)
- Finalisation of NACE Rev. 2.1 correspondence tables (Q2 2023)
NACE 2.1 rev. use is intended from 01.01.2025.
Coding system, code length, number of levels
Coding system – decimally hierarchical
Code length – four digits
Number of levels – 4
Description of levels
Level 1: 22 sections identified by alphabetical letter;
Level 2: 87 divisions identified by two-digit numerical codes (01 to 99);
Level 3: 287 groups identified by three-digit numerical codes (01.1 to 99.0);
Level 4: 651 classes identified by four-digit numerical codes (01.11 to 99.00).
Ieva.Kurme [at] csp.gov.lv